Hi, I’m Kate!
I specialise in editing and proofreading fiction, in particular:
- speculative fiction
- dystopian fiction
- graphic novels and comics
Before becoming an editor, I was UK government policy advisor for almost ten years. I think that experience of politics set me up well for a career specialising in weird fiction; after all, politics is just a type of dystopia that happens on the news. I’m always keen to work with writers who want to explore the challenges we face as a species.
I’m also a huge fan of horror/ sci-fi / fantasy / graphic novels / games / all things geek. When I’m not editing, you can find me reading, writing, watching something new on Netflix, or playing on my PS4.
I’m an Intermediate Member of the UK’s Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading (CIEP), formerly the Society for Editors and Proofreaders (SfEP). In addition to my experience, I’ve completed the following training:
- P1: Proofreading – SfEP
- P2: Proofreading (with Merit) – SfEP
- CE1: Copy-editing – SfEP
- CE2: Copy-editing (with ‘Good’ marking) – SfEP
- Editing Graphic Novels – Editorial Freelancers Association (EFA)
- Foundations of Storytelling for Developmental Editors – Editorial Freelancers Association (EFA)
- Manuscript Evaluation – Editors Canada