If you have any questions or concerns about these terms and conditions, feel free to contact me for clarification.
These terms and conditions apply to any work done on behalf of the Client (you) by me (Kate Nascimento trading as KN Editorial).
- I will provide proofreading/editing services as agreed upon (in writing) by myself and the Client.
- The Client is under no obligation to offer me work; neither am I under any obligation to accept work offered by the Client.
- The work will be carried out unsupervised at such times and places as determined by me, using my own equipment.
- The work will be carried out by me. I will not subcontract proofreading/editing projects, or parts of projects, to third parties.
- I confirm that I am self-employed, am responsible for my own income tax and National Insurance contributions, and will not claim benefits granted to the Client’s employees.
- I am not VAT-registered.
- The contract of service requires that the Client and I both acknowledge, in writing, that we have read, understood and agreed to these terms and conditions.
Prior to commencement of the work, the Client and I will agree, in writing, to the terms of the project:
- the medium in which the proofreading/editing service will be carried out (e.g. in Word, on PDF, on paper)
- how the material will be annotated (e.g. Track Changes in Word, BSI correction symbols on paper, or commenting tools on PDF)
- the length of time required to complete the project, as advised by me
- a fee for the project, based on a quotation supplied by me, in writing, following my evaluation of the material to be proofread/edited and the time frame required to complete the job
- any expenses (e.g. postage) that the Client will bear outside the costs of the proofreading/editing work
- the date by which the work will be delivered by the Client to me
- the latest date by which the completed project will be returned, following my advice to the Client
Please note that if, on receipt of the project to be worked on (or at an early stage), it becomes apparent that significantly more work is required than had been anticipated in the preliminary discussion/brief or from the sample supplied, I may renegotiate the fee and/or the deadline, or decline to carry out the work.
Pricing and payments
- A quotation for the work is supplied after an evaluation of the text and a discussion with the Client as to what is required.
- The Client will pay me a fee per hour OR per 1,000 words OR an agreed flat fee for the job, according to prior agreement.
- Once the Client and I have agreed the full fee, it is non-negotiable unless the Client extends the word count of the job or requests additional services. In this case, a revised quotation and job-completion date will be negotiated.
- Unless otherwise agreed, I will supply the Client with an invoice immediately upon completion of the proofreading/editing project.
- Payment should be received within a specified time, agreed in advance, from submission of the invoice or within 30 days, as set out in the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 – Amended and Supplemented in 2002.
- The booking form includes agreement to the contract of services between me and the Client.
- The booking is considered confirmed only once the booking form has been returned and the booking fee has been paid by the client and received by me.
- Cancellation during the project: In the unlikely case that the Client cancels the work during the proofreading/editing project, I reserve the right to invoice for 100% of the agreed fee (less any advance payment).
- Cancellation prior to project commencement: In the unlikely case that the Client cancels the work prior to the proofreading/editing project commencing, but after making a booking and agreeing to the terms and conditions of service herein, I reserve the right to invoice for 100% of the agreed fee (less any advance payment) if the cancellation occurs with less than a weeks’ notice.
- In the event that the Client wishes to cancel before with more than a weeks’ notice, no other charge will apply.
- Both the Client and I have the right to terminate a contract for services at any time if there is a serious breach of its terms.
- If I am touched by extraordinary or difficult circumstances that cause cancellation (e.g. bereavement), I will contact the Client in writing at the earliest opportunity and do my best to renegotiate the time frame of the project or find an alternative supplier of proofreading/editing services. Any advance payment will be refunded.
- The nature and content of the work will be kept confidential and not made known to anyone other than the Client and its contractors without prior written permission.
- Under the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998, the Client and I may keep on record such information (e.g. contact details) as is necessary. Either may view the other’s records to ensure that they are relevant, correct and up to date.
- All content delivered to me by the Client for the proofreading/editing project is owned by the Client.
- Following payment of my invoice, any content created by me as part of the proofreading/editing process will become the copyright of the Client unless otherwise agreed.
- This agreement is subject to the laws of England and Wales, and both the Client and I agree to submit to the jurisdiction of the English and Welsh courts.